Your portable oxygen concentrator delivers not just life-giving oxygen, but also priceless peace of mind. These machines are designed to be reliable, durable, and easy to use, and you want yours to last as long as possible, having a solid care and maintenance plan is a must! A portable oxygen concentrator (POC) can help you sleep better, be more active, and enjoy your independence, in addition to treating your pulmonary condition. You may be wondering about the care and maintenance for your portable oxygen concentrator.
Don’t allow your unit to get too dirty, which could expose you to a buildup of bacteria, allergens, or dust. Take good care of your POC, and enjoy better efficiency and a longer lifespan!
Here are a few tips to keep your POC clean and working well:
We recommend inspecting your POC once a week, perhaps twice per week if you are often out and about with your unit, or if you regularly use it in poor air quality conditions.
- First, inspect and clean the outside of the unit. Make sure your POC is unplugged from its power source and any accessories have been disconnected. Use a damp washcloth with warm water and gentle dish soap to wash the outside, removing any grime or marks.
- Second, open your POC and remove the filter. Fill your sink or a small basin with warm, soapy water, enough to submerge your filter. Dip your filter into the water and gently wipe away any additional dust from the filter with a wet washcloth. Allow to air dry on a clean towel.
- Third, clean your nasal cannula. You can submerge the cannula and tubing in warm, soapy water, then rinse with clean water or a 10:1 mixture of water to white vinegar. Hang it up and allow it to air dry.
Other tips for cleaning your portable oxygen concentrator and maintenance for extending its lifespan:
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on removal or replacement of filters, including additional particle filters.
- Wipe down your nasal cannula and connections with an alcohol pad daily. Replace these altogether once per month.
- If your POC needs repair or servicing, only go to an authorized repair provider to make sure you don’t void your warranty.
Got questions on portable oxygen concentrator maintenance and care? Reach out to us at Portable Oxygen Solutions today to learn more!