If you’ve recently been diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) or some other ailment that requires oxygen therapy, you may find yourself wondering what type of oxygen therapy is best for you. Working closely with your health care provider and oxygen therapy provider ensures you will receive exactly what you need. Portable Oxygen Solutions is a supplier of portable oxygen concentrators and is here to help you understand the factors you should take into consideration when picking an oxygen concentrator. There are a few key things to consider when deciding which oxygen therapy equipment will be right for you:
1) Prescribed amount of oxygen. Your doctor will write a prescription for a specific amount of oxygen you should receive each minute. High-flow equipment is available if you need more than 4 liters per minute.
2) How often you leave your home. If it’s common for you to leave home often and for longer periods of time, it’s best to have a portable oxygen concentrator to continue your oxygen therapy while you’re away from home.
3) Energy and strength. It’s important to think about your overall strength and stamina, as those may fluctuate with each day. Some containers that hold more oxygen are larger and heavier, so if you need something compact and light, this should be taken into consideration when picking your oxygen therapy equipment.
4) Floor layout of your house. If you live in a two-story home, you may need an oxygen supply both upstairs and downstairs if you choose a stationary oxygen concentrator. Talk to your oxygen supplier and health care provider to determine which will work best.
5) How you breathe. If you find yourself breathing through your mouth, rather than your nose, it may be more beneficial to have an oxygen mark. Oxygen is typically delivered through a nasal cannula, but oxygen masks are also an option.
6) Dexterity. If you no longer have some of your fine motor skills, it would be wise to choose oxygen equipment that doesn’t require vast amounts of dexterity to operate.
7) Individual inclination. At the end of the day, the decision ultimately comes down to what you think will work best for your oxygen delivery.
Portable Oxygen Solutions is a preferred authorized dealer for portable oxygen concentrator machines. We take pride in selling only the best portable oxygen solutions. We are dedicated to helping those diagnosed with COPD maintain an active lifestyle, improve quality of life, and increase freedom and independence. If you are in need of a portable oxygen concentrator, or are curious as to what your options are, call us today at 1-800-958-0274. We’d be glad to talk you through your list of options.